How To Apply For Unemployment In South Dakota
The South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation has reclassified unemployment insurance benefits as “Reemployment Assistance.” Benefits payments from the reemployment assistance fund are meant to be a temporary relief measure as you search for new employment. Read the linked content below carefully before beginning:
- Department of Labor and Regulation (General Info)
- Apply for Reemployment Assistance Benefits
- South Dakota State Job Listings
You can file a reemployment assistance claim online or you can call the claims center during regular business hours (8:00 am – 4:20 pm) at (605) 626-3179. For best results by phone, file on the day corresponding with the first letter of your last name: A-F on Monday; G-N on Tuesday; O-Z on Thursday. Phone filers should expect long waiting times.
Verification of Identity and Work History
In order to be eligible for reemployment assistance, you must provide proof of US Citizenship or legal alien status. You must also have a verifiable home address, phone number, and email (if filing online). Reemployment assistance weekly payments can be sent to you via direct deposit, so have your tracking and routing number handy when you file your initial claim.
Upon receiving your request for reemployment, the Department of Labor and Regulation will review it and determine your eligibility. You’ll be notified by mail about their decision and the amount of your weekly payments will be set. That payment amount will be based on your wage history, so find last year’s W2 or 1099, along with your most recent paystub with YTD info.
Reemployment Assistance Handbook
The South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation, to assist you in your application for reemployment assistance, has created a Reemployment Assistance Handbook. This handbook contains contact phone numbers for job service offices and instructions on the following:
- Eligibility Requirements
- Benefit Payment Information
- Weekly Reporting
- Tax Liabilities
It’s recommended that you read the handbook prior to filing your claim. The PDF can be accessed on screen or you can print it to have a more permanent copy. If you’re denied benefits, there is also an appeals process outlined in the handbook.
Work Search and Trade Adjustment Assistance
One of the requirements for receiving weekly reemployment assistance payments is that you continue to look for a new job. When you file your weekly reports, you’ll be asked to provide proof of work search, along with employer contact information and supporting documentation. If you need help finding a new job, there are a number of sources you can turn to:
- Career One Stop: Sponsored by the United States Department of Labor, Career One Stop is an online resource center where you can search for jobs, receive employment career counseling, and enroll in job training and educational programs.
- Bureau of Human Resources: The South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources posts job listings for open positions with the State of South Dakota. Job seekers are encouraged to register with this site and submit an application for employment when filing for reemployment assistance.
Trade Adjustment Assistance: If you’ve lost your job due to foreign competition, you may be qualified for Trade Adjustment Assistance. This is a program sponsored by the United States Department of Labor.
South Dakota Unemployment Insurance Program
- Coronavirus update: South Dakota is providing updates on Unemployment Insurance changes related to COVID-19 here: Visit Website
- To file a claim by telephone number: Visit Website
- To file a UI claim online: Visit Website
- General Information about the Unemployment Insurance Program: Visit Website